1-800-508-MOLD
1-508-294-5756
Master home inspection service, including indoor air quality, home inspections, mold removal, mold remediation, mold abatement serving MA.

FAQ Mold

How can someone be exposed to MOLD?

There are several ways you can become exposed to mold:

  • Breathing in the spores from the air.
  • Skin contact from handling an item that has mold growing on it.
  • Eating without properly washing your hands after handling moldy objects.

Can MOLD cause health problems?

  • The most common symptoms of mold exposure are runny nose, eye irritation, cough, congestion, and aggravation of asthma.

Mold has the potential to cause health problems and even make a home uninhabitable. However, everyone is effected differently when in contact with mold. The mold that may not bother the seller may severely effect the buyer. Some mold can produce allergens, irritants and, in come cases, potentially toxic chemical substances known as mycotoxins. People who are sensitive and exposed to mycotoxins can become ill. Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. People diagnosed with allergies and asthma may be very sensitive to mold. Mold can cause asthma attacks. Others at risk may include: infants, children, the elderly, immune compromised patients, pregnant women and individuals with existing respiratory conditions.

With exposure, even in small amounts, mold may cause:

  • Itching or irritation of the nose, eyes, throat, or skin
  • Mysterious skin rashes
  • Sinus infections or congestion/ Sinusitis (runny nose)
  • Respiratory problems (Sneezing and coughing)
  • Upper and lower respiratory infections.
  • Fatigue
  • Frequent headaches
  • Trouble concentrating, memory lapses, confusion
  • Mood swings, anxiety, depression
  • Chronic aches and pains
  • Digestive problems
  • ADHD-like symptoms in children

Where is MOLD found in the home?

Mold can be found in several areas in the home environment It appears most often in moist areas as little black circles or thread-like white objects. It is usually accompanied with a musty-type odor. Outdoors, mold plays a natural part in the environment by breaking down dead organic matter such as dead trees or fallen leaves. Mold reproduces by means of microscopic spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through the indoor and outdoor air. Mold begins to grow indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet or damp. Mold will not grow without water or moisture. Therefore, it is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.

Some examples of places where mold can be found inside the home include:

  • Attics, Basements, Kitchens (bottom of fridge) around bathroom vanities,
    washer and dryer area.
  • The underside of carpets and pads.
  • The surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms).
  • Ceilings and the top side of ceiling tiles.
  • Front and backside of dry wall, wallpaper or paneling.
  • Inside HVAC systems and ductwork.
  • Clothing.
  • Food.

How can I reduce or eliminate MOLD inside of my home?

It is impossible to completely eliminate all mold and mold spores indoors. Mold will always be found floating in the air and in the house dust. Indoor mold growth can be prevented by controlling the water and moisture indoors.

Remember it's not a mold problem, it's a water problem.

The following may prevent or reduce indoor mold growth:

  • Repair any water leaks.
  • Provide good air circulation.
  • Use bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room exhaust fans.
  • Insulate and ventilate attic and crawl space areas properly.
  • Clean, dry or remove items that are damaged by water immediately.

Can I use Bleach to kill or clean mold?

A few tidbits about chlorine bleach:

  1. Although you can use it, chlorine bleach is a hazardous substance. The product we know as bleach is a solution of hypochlorite. chlorine and water.
  2. If you mix chlorine bleach with any acid (vinegar, drain cleaners, lemon juice etc.) chlorine gas is produced. Chlorine gas is extremely dangerous and exposure can be fatal.
  3. Bleach also cannot be mixed with ammonia. This is because the bleach reacts with the ammonia to produce nitrogen trichloride, which is explosive, and extremely irritating to the mucous membranes.

A safer cleaner for small amounts of mold would be vinegar and water.

Always use an accredited IAQA specialist to remove mold.

Toll Free 1-888-508-MOLD (6653)
Cell 508-294-5756
Rhode Island: 401-658-5700

P.O. Box 533
Raynham Center, Ma 02768

Web Design Company